This is a series that will be at least 3 parts covering Internet Marketing, SEO and Your business. To kick off the series we are going to look at the straight facts of the Internet and help to show you the potential that is waiting for your business. We are going to be looking at Internet Usage, Search Engine Usage, Internet Advertising and Social Media Marketing.
▪ According to Nielsen, there are 1,200,000,000 billion people with access to the Internet conducting 66 billion searches a month. Moreover, 76% of all searches happen outside of North America.
▪ 72% of the United States population is “online”, that’s around 218 million people, count Canada’s 28 million and you’re at 245 million people online Nielsen/Net Rankings 2008.
▪ 72,289,533 people of that 245 million have broadband or high speed internet which usually signifies a “tech savy user” willing to purchase products via the internet
▪ According to MagnaInsights, in 2009 $14 billion will be spent on search marketing, an increase of 4% from last year (See below bullet)
▪ GroupM study found that Online/digital share of global ad dollars spent will reach 15% in 2009, up from 11% in 2008. I don’t see this number dropping anytime soon
As the next two tables show, Google is the dominate player when it comes to the US market share of searches, owning anywhere from 58-69% of the market, with Yahoo and MSN starting to fall behind. Keep in mind AOL search is actually powered by Google. And there are apparently talks of a Yahoo! – Google
Social media marketing (SMM) is a form of internet marketing which seeks to achieve branding and marketing communication goals through the participation in various social media networks”. Social Media Style Sites range from broad to niche and there is literally a social media opportunity for nearly everyone’s interests and business, best of all its mostly free. Below are some states on social media usage.
Have the facts settled in yet? So there is no doubt Internet usage, Search Engine usage and Social Media Marketing are going to continue to grow! So we must ask ourselves again what are the business goals of online marketing to begin with?
- Page Views & Ad Exposure
- Web Site Traffic
- Conversions & Sales
Which in turn
- Grows Brand Awareness
- Helps Create Positive Brand Association
- Provides Business Networking & Development with People Who Are Interested in Your Products or Those of a Similar Nature
Maintaining and or operating a website as part of an existing business or as your sole business is an unparalleled resource when you consider the amount of people you can potentially reach through the web. More money is being thrown into the internet than ever before as businesses cut back their marketing budget via traditional outlets (mail, billboards, tv ads, radio ads) and shifting that dollar over to the web. There is a reason why there have been drastic changes to traditional business models in recent times.
Think about how…
The yellow pages are losing business at an alarming rate
Blockbuster had to change their marketing scheme due NetFlix
Newspaper classified ad sales (a huge money maker for newspapers) are significantly down due to sites like craigslist.
Newspaper print edition sales are down due to online-on demand news resources (virtually every major newspaper now offers their articles via the internet…and for free)
Television and production companies (abc.com, comedy central, nbc.com, espn etc) all offer have huge multimedia collections of shows which you can now watch online.
Etrade and on demand financial information has reduced the need for stock brockers and hurt a profession
The music industry had to do something about file sharing (Napster, Limewire lawsuits) so they came up with a cheap alternative-1$ downloads for what you want, when you want.
And that’s just the beginning of a LONG List.
Are you going to fight this trend and stick with what has worked? Or embrace a new challenge and new market with massive opportunities? I am sure if you are a savvy business owner you know the answer tot that question but where and how do you start?? I will tackle those issues next time.