Good stories sell products and services! Tonight there is Mega Monday Night NFL football game on, perhaps you heard that Brett Favre is squaring off against his old team. For any of you who have followed this story, you know that there is a lot of animosity between Favre and the Packers front office.
Quick rundown for anyone that has been living under a rock or does not care about the NFL
- Favre says he is retiring (again) then changes his mind (again).
- Green Bay does not want him back (after he has been there for over after 16 years with the team)
- Favre is courted by the vikings to play for them.
- Green Bay calls foul play and forbids him to play for a division rival.
- Favre goes to the New York Jets and has a good year.
- Favre retires (again) but wait he’s not retiring.
- Favre signs with the Vikings ( Where he wanted to play in the first place)
- The Packers are playing the Vikings tonight ( can you smell the drama in the air?)
The NFL could not be happier with how this unfolded. They should give a liitle extra cash to both Brett Favre and the Packers for making this happen. This I believe will be one of the highest rated Monday Nights in recent history. People get emotional about football. Emotions sell products. Anyone that watches the NFL probably has an opinion on the Brett Favre vs Packers scenario.
Make no mistake about it this is not a sports blog, it is a primarely a marketing blog. With that being said there are not many products out there that are marketed better than the major sports, especially the NFL. Their biggest marketing tactic is the stories that are intertwined with the games. They love when the press gets a hold of something and runs with it. Even their NFL movies are told like epic stories. The music and the voice overs= all perfectly packaged stories that they are selling us.
So what kind of stories can you attach to your product or service? To me nothing sells better than getting people emotional about your product or service and stories accomplish that. Now go create your story!